Involved in a Car Accident? Here’s What To Do Next

Car accidents are very unfortunate, but all of us are at risk of getting involved in one. And this holds true even if we are very careful with our actions. We cannot control the behaviors of others that we share the road with, and they are the ones who sometimes bring us trouble. How many times have you heard of people getting hit by a car even if they are on the sidewalk? How many cars have been hit even if they were properly pulled over?

Even if we are not at fault, the effects of an accident are as real as they can get. The injuries that we can get from others’ negligence affect us not only physically but also financially. Some might need the help of expensive painkillers to get through. Some suffer from injuries so serious that they are forced to take some time off or even quit their jobs.

In this article, we present steps that can surely help you get by financially when you are still recovering from your accident injuries.

Stay in touch with your insurance provider

Some states in the United States have laws that require insurance providers to cover the full medical expenses of a no-fault accident victim. Even with this, the payment process does not move so smoothly. Sometimes the insurer delays the payment of their clients’ bills, forcing the service providers to contact the client for debt collection. This can be very stressful and frustrating.

Because of this, there is a need for you to be in close contact with the insurer. Make sure that they are aware of every test and procedure that you have been through. Aside from that, always keep records of everything, just in case they demand proof. The record-keeping part can be taxing, but this is something that needs to be done in order to protect yourself from the stresses of incessant and sometimes aggressive debt collection.

Hire a lawyer

Unfortunately, many insurers attempt to evade their responsibilities by demanding a lot of requirements and other similar tactics. This is wrong on many levels, but it happens far more often than anyone is willing to admit.

Because of that, there is a need for you to secure the services of personal injury lawyers such as those from Hutchison & Stoy, PLLC, which is based in Fort Worth, Texas. They will act on your behalf so you are spared from having to deal with the stresses of taking care of the near-delinquent behaviors of some insurance providers.

File claims for social security benefits

When you are too hurt to report to work, your finances will surely be affected. But there is something that can be done. Depending on the severity of your injuries, you can apply and qualify for social security benefits. This requires a lot of paperwork, so there is a need for you to get the help of professionals in the personal injury field.

However, you have to be aware that social security only provides assistance to those who suffer from disabilities that last more than twelve months. You are lucky if you live in states like New York and California because they have short-term disability benefits there.

Taking care of your finances while on the road to recovery is a must. Oftentimes, you cannot do this alone. Hence, never be ashamed of reaching out to the agencies and professionals who can help.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *